Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What Happens With Poor Planning

Planning is important. It's also not something I'm particularly good at.

Looking at the source code for Erin's Big Game today, I realized to myself: "Damn, what a mess." There's interlocking pieces everywhere. Well, there are pieces everywhere. They aren't particularly interlocking with anything. Rather, they're jammed together like a plastic bag of gears and bolts.

For example: How in the Hell did I think two conversation systems was a good idea when I have, literally, dozens of characters? Why didn't I program a time system to begin with rather than try and fit it into an already partially written game? I thought I was so clever to start writing the critical scenes first, beginning, middle and end. Never did it occur to me how difficult it would be to, you know, insert the things between those points.

There's only one solution at this point and, that's to rethink how I'm going to do things entirely. I'm going to save what I can and put it into some fresh source code. That's going to take time. In the meantime, I'm going to spend some time doing some AIF related side-projects in ADRIFT. I might talk about that in the future.

Now enjoy this artist's representation of me at work.

4 comments:

  1. So what you are saying is that there are multiple games that you aren't finishing fast enough. Gotcha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late. Wishful thinking from potential players demands constant proof of creative output and a completely unrealistic time frame for release. I'm entitled to free things that other people work hard making!

      Delete
    2. Well, to be honest, I know exactly how that feels. :)

      Delete