Sunday, September 15, 2013

(Almost) Starting From Scratch

This weekend, I reloaded a much earlier back-up of the project and began reorganizing the contents for expansion. I also began to make some new rooms and populate it with furniture and so forth. These are all pretty safe things to do while I'm brainstorming all the new characters, new sub-plots, new game mechanics and so forth that I'll need.

I received a good number of comments, the vast majority of which were varying levels of "make what you want to make." A sentiment I respect. I'd be lying, however, if I said that hypothetical future popularity didn't figure into it at. I find it very gratifying when people like the stuff I make. But throwing out the TF was not one of those decisions. If I felt like I could pull off a soccer simulator with TF elements, I would have, and people would play it because there's not much AIF coming out these days. But I realized that the TF and the soccer sim stuff were two contradictory experiences that was getting harder and harder to rectify.

Why go TF in the first place? It's very simple: I like to mix things up. I don't have a desperate need to write TF, or at least it's no more desperate than my need to write quality things and have people enjoy my work.

But, one thing will ALWAYS be true, and that's that I'll ALWAYS write about things I want to write about, for a very simple reason: if I didn't want to write about them, they'd NEVER get done. Believe me, if I was going to write a story purely for eyeballs, I'd write a game where Hermione Granger and Harry Potter have an incestuous relationship and are also vampires.

Wait, no one steal that idea! No one steal that idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment